Saturday, November 17, 2007

More About My Meeting

Last night I was still high on meeting Giada so I was not able to give a detailed recounting of the experience. So, let me share that with you now.

The Event, Sweet, was Food Network's kick off to the New York Food and Wine Festival set to happen in 2008. Upon entering the loft space you were greeted with trays of champagne, Evian and Ferrero Rocher chocolates. The atmosphere was festive, the music great (lots of 80's pop) however it was VERY crowded, uncomfortably so. On both sides of the event space were tables with dessert samples from some of New York City's finest restaurants and various wines to go with the desserts. Some of the desserts were very good, but overall, I was less than impressed. When it comes to dessert I am all about simple. I don't understand the need for roquefort mousse or goat cheese cheesecake. But I digress.

As we walked through the space, I was scanning the crowd for a glimpse of Giada. We eventually made it 3/4 of the way through the space and came to the photo-op area. When we got there Michael Chiarella was there taking photos with fans and the Ferrero Rocher girls. I asked a woman with a clipboard if Giada had been by yet. I figured that she would know because she has a clipboard and was wearing a headset. She told me Giada was there earlier but was likely now in the VIP area. Needless to say, I was crushed. I was ready to leave at that point. But we finished our walk through the space. We reached the end and turned around to head out.

We were about 2/3 of the way back through the event when the heavens parted and a ray of light shone done. Right there in front of me was Giada. My heart started pounding and my legs turned to jelly. I turned to my hubby and said, "she is right there, get the camera!!!" Giada was talking with someone so I patiently waited, edging my way right up to her. As soon as she was done I tapped her arm and asked if I could take a photo with her. I told her I am a huge fan, I have all her books, watch all her shows and have made many of her recipes and they are all fantastic. Yes, I was gushing, but I had just regained the power of speech (for a moment I lost it). She was very gracious and said yes to the photo and thanked me for watching. My hubby snapped a few shots, I thanked her and she moved on.

For the rest of the night I was grinning like an idiot. I was in heaven. This was truly one of the best moments of my life. Giada was just like you would want someone you were dying to meet to be like. Not at all snotty or curt. She seemed genuinely grateful to me for watching and being a fan.

This is a moment I won't soon forget.

Oh what the hell, here is the photo again.









Now I just need to get her to sign it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy day!! Great photo. You two look like BFFs.

Such said...

We are.

Robby Johnson said...

Dear Suzy,

I told you that if you hung out in the right places, bought the right clothes, starved yourself for God's sake, eventually the cool people would accept you. I am so proud of you.

Luvyameanit,

Bob